The Vote Equity Project collected over 250 reform ideas submitted by Chicagoans.
Residents from every ward collectively cast 52,000 votes on their top priorities.
These were the top-voted reforms in revenue.
- Revenue -
1. Distribute all citywide TIF revenue equitably to neighborhoods based on factors like area unemployment, income, and past investment.
2. End tax breaks and subsidies for wealthy corporations like Amazon and private development projects like Lincoln Yards
3. Create an income tax for Chicago residents with incomes over $1 million/yr (millionaire's tax), to fund community investment.
4. Implement a progressive income tax to proportionately tax people in different income brackets.
5. Fix the broken property tax system and raise revenue from previously under-taxed downtown commercial and luxury real estate.